The Invisible War
The Invisible War is a gut-wrenching story of mud, microbes and mucus. The unseen enemy. Our Invisible friends.
This graphic novel is inspired by new scientific discoveries about the protective roles of viruses and bacteria living within our intestines. We are introduced to Annie, a nurse who faces the filth and horror of WWI and, simultaneously, we follow a journey into her body and bear witness to a battle between ancient microbial enemies.
The core team were: Author – Ailsa Wild; Illustrator – Ben Hutchings; Art Director – Briony Barr; Science Director – Gregory Crocetti; Science Advisor – Jeremy Barr
- Winner: Award for Excellence in Educational Publishing: Most Outstanding Resource of the Year 2017 (Educational Publishing Awards Australia)
- Winner: Best Secondary Reference Resource 2017 (Educational Publishing Awards Australia)
- Winner: Best Designed Educational Primary/Secondary Book 2017 (Australian Book Design Awards)
- Winner: 2017 MUBA (Most Underrated Book Award)
- Winner: 2017 DeBary Children’s Science Book Award
- Listed by the Children’s Book Council of Australia as a ‘Notable Book of 2017‘
- Shortlisted: 2017 Ledger Award (for Excellence in Australian Comics)
What the critics say:
One of the best books I've ever read on that general theme.
—Robyn Williams ABC RN Science Show host.
A candidate for the first truly modern 21st century graphic novel.
—Dorian Sagan, US science writer and son of science communicator legend, Carl Sagan
This book is a brilliant example of what the human mind can produce